Navajo County is no longer issuing burn permits because Stage I fire restrictions are in effect. In addition, all permits that have been issued are now suspended until restrictions have been lifted. Please see the Stage I fire restriction guidelines below. If you have any questions, please contact Navajo County Emergency Management.
STAGE I – Minimal Restrictions
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire unless noted in the exemptions below.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least
three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Use of any and all fireworks.
- Use of explosive targets.
- Use of tracer round ammunition.
Note: For the smoking provision, each agency/tribe must cite their actual regulations/laws; therefore the wording for the prohibition may be slightly different.
Persons with a written permit that specifically
authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Fires used only for the cooking of food or for
providing warmth for human beings or for recreational purposes (campfires and
charcoal fires) in an area that is designated for that purpose and is barren or
cleared of all debris.
- Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid
petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can
only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and
surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Persons conducting activities in those
designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written
- Any Federal, State, or local officer or member
of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official
- All land within a city boundary is exempted
unless otherwise stated by city ordinance.
- Other exemptions unique to each agency/tribe.
An exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by the exempted activity.