- To provide health and safety consultation, staff training and community resource information to licensed child care centers or homes that are currently participating in the Quality First Program. These areas include the Navajo and Apache County Region, the Navajo Nation, the White Mountain Apache Reservation, and the San Carlos Apache Reservation.
- Child Care Health Consultation (CCHC) is supported and recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care.
A Navajo County Health Department CCHC is a public health nurse who has completed additional training based on the curriculum of the National Training Institute for Child Care Health Consultants and has knowledge about the health and safety of children and about child care settings.
- To improve the health and status of children in child care.
- To increase health promotion and disease prevention in child care.
- Facilitate children’s use of health services.
- Meet on-site with child care providers to assess health and safety practices.
- Assist with developing or updating health and safety policies and procedures.
- Provides nutrition and physical activities information, including ideas for combating obesity.
- Provides education and training on a variety of health and safety topics for child care staff and parents.
- Assists in the coordination of care and access to immunizations, health, and dental screenings.
- Provides education and training on a variety of health and safety topics for child care staff and parents. Some examples are:
- Hand washing
- Medication Administration
- Safe Sleep
- Playground safety
- Safety and injury prevention
Child Care Health Consultants are part of the First Things First Initiative to increase the quality of, and access to early childhood programs to ensure that a child entering school comes healthy and ready to succeed.
Caring for Our Children, National Health and Safety Performance Standards, and Guidelines for Out-of-Home Child Care Programs
Communicable Disease Resource Guide.
Arizona State Immunization Information System.
For more information, please contact: Child Care Health Consultant by phone at (928) 524-4482.