Navajo County Public Works
The Department is charged to construct, improve, repair and maintain County Highways
and Streets in a reasonably safe and cost-effective manner and protect the lives
and real property of citizens of Navajo County from flooding. To facilitate accomplishing
this, the Department has adopted the following basic principles:
- Implement policies which adhere to State regulations and County ordinances to assure
the legal and equitable distribution of resources.
- Approaches to work-related challenges are to be developed on a team basis. To encourage
open communication, regular team meetings will be held. Decisions are to be made
and challenges addressed at the lowest organizational level possible.
- Substantial tasks are to be performed in accordance with schedules, budgets, plans
and priorities. Schedules and plans are to be developed and progress monitored on
a team basis. Desired results should be accomplished optimally with allowance for
cross-training and safety.
- Safety first in all we do. The Department’s safety policy is to be fully implemented.
- Adhere to organization chart. All work-related issues should be considered and resolved
through the proper channels. Work requests are to go through chain of command so
that work loads can be managed.
- Obtain appropriate equipment and tools which promote efficiency, safety and worker
comfort. Maintain equipment and tools in a safe and reliable condition.
- Strive to treat the public courteously and impartially. Their concerns are to be
fully and promptly addressed within the limits of our authority and resources.
- Effectively communicate and advocate Public Works issues.
- Commit to excellence.
- Build employees. Training and career development programs are to be made available
to all employees. Positive accomplishments are to be recognized and substandard
- Be positive. Starve problems and feed possibilities. Identify challenges. Resolve
them. Or, adapt and go on.
- Allow for mistakes. Mistakes happen. Learn from them but do not dwell on them.
- Foster cooperation. Cooperation creates a positive climate that leads to teamwork
and more constructive communication.
Top of Page