United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service Sitgreaves National Forest
Stage III Fire Restrictions Order Number: 01-14-562
Posted: Jun 11, 2014 By: James E. Zornes,Forest Supervisor,Sitgreaves National Forest
Sitgreaves National Forest (June 11, 2014)—Stage III Fire Restrictions Order Number: 01-14-562
Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and Title 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b), the following acts are
prohibited within the areas, roads, and trails within the Sitgreaves National Forest,
Coconino County, Arizona. The "restricted area" is as described in this Order and as
depicted in Exhibit A.
- Going into or being upon the restricted area. 36 CFR 261.52(e)
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (e), the following persons are exempt from this order:
- Person with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or
- Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized firefighting force in the
performance of an official duty.
- Persons occupied in a business, trade, or occupation in the area.
- Residents in the area may access their private property via closed Forest Service roads
only to the extent necessary to access such property.
All National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the boundaries described below
and as depicted on the attached Exhibit A:
Rodeo/Chediski/Show Low South Closure Boundary: This area is described as the west
side of Lakeside Ranger District and a small portion of the Black Mesa Ranger District
south of Hwy 260.
- Western boundary being NFS Road 139 starting at the junction of Hwy 260 and NFS
Road 139, traveling south to NFS Road 141 and NFS Road 139 Junction, then traveling
west to NFS Road 300 and NFS Road 141 junction. Then due west to Fort Apache
- Southern Boundary being the boundary of the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. From
the Junction of NFS Road 300 and 141, junction west to Reservation Boundary. Then
traveling east along Reservation Boundary to private land boundary 2 3/4 miles east of
- Eastern Boundary is Private/Forest land boundary on western edge of Wagon Wheel
- Northern boundary is alongside the southern edge of State Highway 260
Private Land access is allowed within this closure.
Timber Mesa Closure Area:
- Western Boundary is alongside the eastern edge of Penrod Road
- Starting at the intersection of Porter Mtn road and Penrod Road traveling
northwesterly along the Penrod Road to the intersection of Highway 60<
- Northern Boundary is alongside the southern edge of U.S. Highway 60. Starting at the
intersection of Penrod Road and Hwy 60 traveling easterly to old Apache Railway
Right of Way at Bell Siding.
- Eastern Boundary is the old Apache Railway right of way located in the middle of
Woolhouse Quiet Area. Starting at the intersection of Hwy 60 and traveling
southeasterly to the intersection of Porter Mtn Road.
- Southern Boundary is alongside the northern edge of County Road 45 (Porter Mountain
Road) Traveling westerly on the Porter Mtn road to the intersection of Penrod Road.
- Porter Mountain Cinder Pit and access road
- Flume Mountain Cinder Pit
- Private Landowner access and Private land
Southwest Vernon Closure Boundary:
- This Order will be in effect when signed and shall remain in effect until
September 1, 2014, or until rescinded, whichever occurs first.
- Any violation of this prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than
$5,000.00 for individuals, and $10,000.00 for organizations
and/or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months. Title 16 USC 551, Title
18 USC Sections 3559, 3571.
Done at Springerville, Arizona this 11th day of June, 2014.
- JAMES E. ZORNES
- Forest Supervisor
- Sitgreaves National Forest
Top of Page