Empowerment Scholarship Account
You can call the ESA Support Line at 602-364-1969 or submit a HelpDesk ticket.
Every child between the ages of six and sixteen years shall attend a school and shall be provided instruction in at least the subjects of reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies and science. The person who has custody of the child shall choose a public, private, charter or home school.
If the parent/guardian of the child chooses home school they must file an "Affidavit of Intent" with the County School Superintendent’s Office within 30 days from the time the child begins home schooling. Your signature must be notarized on the affidavit. Print the form, fill it out, and return it to the Navajo County School Superintendent’s Office.
Certified Birth Certificate
The Navajo County School Superintendent’s Office must see the original birth certificate in-person or by mail. A certified birth certificate is issued by the state in which the child is born. Photocopies of the original birth certificate are not acceptable. ARS 15-828 B
Home School Discontinuation/Change of Information Form
If you choose to discontinue to home school then you are required to notify the County School Superintendent within 30 days of discontinuing home schooling (A.R.S. § 15-802). This form is also used to update information on your child’s Affidavit of Intent. This form can be email to Jalyn Gerlich.
- Notwithstanding any other law, a child who resides within the attendance area of a public school and who is homeschooled shall be allowed to try out for interscholastic activities on behalf of the public school in the same manner as a pupil who is enrolled in that public school. Registration, age eligibility requirements, fees, insurance, transportation, physical condition, qualifications, responsibilities, event schedules, standard of behavior and performance policies for homeschooled students shall be consistent with those policies established for students enrolled in that public school. The individual providing the primary instruction of a child who is homeschooled shall submit written verification that provides:
- Whether the student is receiving a passing grade in each course or subject being taught.
- Whether the student is maintaining satisfactory progress towards advancement or promotion.
- A child who is homeschooled and who was previously enrolled in a public, private or charter school shall be ineligible to participate in interscholastic activities for the remainder of the school year during which the child was enrolled in a school.
- A school district shall not contract with any private entity that supervises interscholastic activities if the private entity prohibits the participation of homeschooled children in interscholastic activities at public, private or charter schools.
The County School Superintendent’s Office does not provide testing for homeschooled students. Pursuant to ARS§15-745.
- This article shall not be construed to require the testing of children who are instructed in a home school program while they are receiving home school instruction.
- A child who enrolls in a kindergarten program or grades one through twelve after receiving instruction in a home school program shall be tested pursuant to this article in order to determine the appropriate grade level for the educational placement of the child.
For questions or more information please contact the Navajo County School Superintendent's Office 928-524-4204.