How can I get my road maintained by the County?

Navajo County is governed by State Statutes as to how public funds are spent on roadways. If the road in question is not currently in the Navajo County Road Maintenance System and has not been accepted by the Board of Supervisors for maintenance, then the use of HURF funds is governed by State Statute §28-6705 which states: "The Board of Supervisors may expend public funds for maintenance of public roads and streets other than legally designated state and county highways located outside the limits of an incorporated city or town. Before expending public funds thereon, such roads or streets shall be laid out, opened and constructed Without Cost to the County and fully completed in accordance with a plat approved pursuant to §11-802 and §11-806.1, and in Accordance with Standard Engineering Road Specifications adopted by the County Board of Supervisors to insure uniform compliance. Public funds may be expended by the Board of Supervisors for maintenance of public roads and streets laid out, constructed and opened prior to June 13, 1990 even if such roads and streets were not constructed in accordance with subsection “A” of this section. A hand out can be provided with more detailed information.

Road Improvement District

Another method provided by State Statute for improving a roadway that does not qualify for public funds is to form a Road Improvement District. The basic requirement for formation of such a district is that a consensus to incur the necessary expenses must be reached by either a majority of the persons owning property or the owners of 51% of the property within the limits of the proposed district by time the application is heard by the BOS. It is suggested that a super majority it obtained to limit the chance that the percentage will drop lower than 51%. Each parcel will then be assessed an equitable share of the costs on each parcel’s tax bill. Please contact the Engineering Department for more information.

Show All Answers

1. I pay property taxes and expect more work done on my road. What is being done?
2. How can I get my road maintained by the County?
3. How often will my dirt road be graded?
4. Will the County purchase and install a culvert at my driveway entrance?
5. Somebody put a gate across the road that goes to my house. Can they do that?
6. Can I do work of any kind in the County maintained right-of-way?
7. What is the County going to do about the dust on my road?
8. How can I have my road abandoned?
9. Can I get copies of maps showing County maintained roads?
10. When will the County remove snow from my road?
11. Emergency vehicles cannot get down my road. When will the County fix my road so that ambulances, fire trucks, etc. can get to my house?
12. Why doesn’t the County just use county funds to pave all our streets instead of having to initiate an improvement district?
13. Why is the County changing addressing?
14. What is Navajo County and ROW Fencing?
15. Why is my road being changed to a gravel/dirt road?